Thursday, January 26, 2012
You've already seen glimpses of these built-ins, but I'd like to go back periodically and
show you some before and afters of a few projects that I've done
prior to starting this blog.
See the tall section completely covered by doors? When we bought the house the section in the middle was just a big opening for the television. I can't stand trying to make it look "pretty" around a tv, so we had some doors made to match the ones that were already there to conceal the tv. It's such a cleaner look and looks a bit more like a built-in piece of furniture to me.
We've slowly jumped on the painted cabinets bandwagon and it's amazing the difference it's made in the look of our home. I've always loved stained cabinets, but sometimes it's just time for a change! These are very nice, well made shelves but the time had come where they needed some attention to the finish. After a few years of debate
(in my own head), I decided to go for it.
The main reason for all the debate was that I didn't want to paint all of those shelves! Enter my birthday present last year, a $49 paint sprayer from Home Depot. I had 2 coats on those shelves in about 5.2 minutes. It is a fabulous tool, although I did go through much more paint than I would have used had it all been applied with a roller.
Worth it, though.
We changed the hardware out not long after buying the house, so this time around I just used a little oil-rubbed bronze spray paint to change the finish on the knobs.
As much as I enjoy decorating, I do not particularly enjoy styling bookshelves. It always involves lots of trial and error, arranging and rearranging to find just the right grouping. Generally once I get them figured out I leave them alone until it is time to change decor for the seasons. This time I used lots of mixed metals and tried to keep them fairly simple.
My dad made this mantle for a house that we lived in 12 years ago that didn't have one. It has moved with us through 3 other houses.
I wanted to go dark with it but decided to leave some of the oak showing through so it would look a bit distressed. I basically just dry brushed and rubbed paint off as I went if I got a little too much on.